Everyone is looking for ways to be more eco-friendly in an effort to preserve the world that we live in. Here are 5 things that you can do to reduce emissions and energy inefficiency to make the world a greener place!
1. Travel more sustainably – An oldie, but one that should always be mentioned. Whether it is biking, walking, public transportation or a low emissions vehicle, finding a more sustainable way to travel makes a huge difference. You get an added bonus if it involves physical activity because then you are also getting a workout!
2. Buy energy efficient light bulbs – While energy efficient light bulbs may be a little more expensive than normal bulbs, they tend to last up to 10 times longer. In addition, they use less energy and generate less heat, meaning you save on your energy bill and reduce your need for power.
3. Change your diet – By lessening the amount of dairy and beef in you and your families’ diet, the demand for cattle can decrease, thereby reducing the amount of methane that the cattle population generates. Additionally, this further reduces the need for fossil fuel fertilizer, further improving the environment.
4. Change how you wash your clothing – Depending on the detergent you buy, you can actually wash your clothes in cold water. This not only extends the life of your clothing by being more gentle on the fabric, but saves energy on not having to heat water. Additional bonus if you line dry your clothing afterward!
5. Get an energy audit – By finding out what specific inefficiencies your home has, you can take the steps to improve upon them. By making your home efficient there is less wasted energy which decreases the need to generate it via emission generating means. Worth Electric has a completely free in-home energy audit that you can fill out here.